Smittybilt is a brand which was developed by Basil Smith who is well-known as Smitty. He was a four-wheel drive enthusiast and with his love for four-wheel drive, he had the passion and vision of creating 4WD equipment for jeeps and trucks. In 1956, he opened a machine shop which he named Smittybilt.
Smittybilt has then been creating and launching 4WD products ever since and has continuously been for more than five decades. Today, Smittybilt has built its own name and has been considered as one of the most trustworthy and reliable brands for off roaders.
If you are considering of purchasing and looking for a winch, we highly recommend Smittybilt winches. However, with various different models, it is confusing and difficult to choose one that would best suit your needs. Do not fret as this article will help you make a sound decision.
Best Smittybilt Winches
Smittybilt 9500 lb 97495 XRC GEN2 Winch
This winch comes with a 6.6 horsepower amphibious motor. It has the ability to handle up to 9000 to 17,500 lbs capacity. It is powerful and very efficient. What is more amazing about this winch is that it is very affordable. It comes with three stage planetary gear system and has a gear ratio of 161:28:1. It also has installation wiring which makes this winch easy to use. It has a sliding ring gear clutch and remote control system.
- Comes with a load capacity of 9500 to 17,000 lbs
- Has a powerful motor of 6.6 HP and 500AMP solenoid
- 28:1 gear ratio
- Has warranty policy
- Comes with wireless remote
Smittybilt 98510 X20 Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch
This winch has a powerful motor of 6.6 HP. It comes with a wireless remote control system which means you would not need to operate this winch manually. It comes with a three-stage planetary gear system and has a gear ratio of 218:1 which allows you to ensure fast and effective pulling. It has the ability to handle up to 10,000 to 17,500 lbs. This winch has sliding ring gear clutch, automatic out drum brake and it has a steel cable/synthetic cable rope.
- Comes with wireless remote
- Powerful motor of 6.6 HP motor and 500AMP Solenoid
- Has a load capacity of 10,000 to 17,500 lbs
- 3 stage planetary gear system
- Gear ratio 218:1
- Comes with best warranty policy
Smittybilt 97204 XRC ATV UTV Marine Trailer
This winch is designed specifically to tow vehicles such as marine trailers, UTV/ATV and the like. It has the ability of handle 4000 lbs. It has a motor of 4.1HP and gear ratio of 198:1. It also comes with a steel cable 32’. However, if you wish, you could get this winch in a synthetic rope version.
- Has the ability to pull most ATV/UTVs.
- It is easy to mount
- Pulls fast
- High performance
- Comes with a 3 –stage planetary gear and free spooling clutch
- Has short battery cables
Smittybilt 97695 XRC Gen 3 Winch Steel Series
This winch has the ability to handle 9500 lbs capacity. It comes with powerful motor and includes the latest technology. It is worth its value and it is equipped with heavy duty steel cable which is about 94 ft. Its motor comes with about 7HP wound motor and it has a gear ratio of 173:1. It is easy to operate and it has a separate power switch and direction switch. Its LED light is very convenient especially when you are dark.
- Comes with a load indicator warning system
- Has the ability to handle a load capacity of 9500 lbs
- IP67 rated which means it is water-resistant
- It is easy to use and to install
- It is fast
- Comes with adequate power and has low amp draw
- Has the necessary hardware for installation
- Has 3-stage planetary gear
- Automatic in-drum braking
- Sliding ring gear free spooling clutch
- Instruction manual is not that precise and detailed
Smittybilt 97380 X20-8 8000 lbs Winch
This winch comes with 5.5 horsepower motor and has three stage planetary gear. It comes with a ratio of 180:1. Its cable is about 100 feet long and it is galvanized. The cable is strong and light. It is stable and comes with a protective sleeve which is about 10 feet long.
- Has a motor of 5.5 horsepower
- Cable is heat treated and UV stable
- 100 feet long galvanized cable
- Gear ratio is 180:1
- Has warranty
- Comes with a remote
Factors in purchasing Smittybilt Winches
- Horsepower – when it comes to powerful motors, you will be able to rely on Smittybilt winches. It is highly recommended to check XRC Gen3 (7 HP), X20 and Smittybilt XRC (6.6 HP), Smittybilt 97380 X20 (5.5 HP) and Smittybilt 97204 XRC-4 (4.1 HP).
- Load Capacity – this is another factor that you will have to look into. Is your winch able to handle a certain amount of weight?
- Cable – You will need to ascertain that the cable of your winch is strong and durable. It should be able to handle certain amount of weight.
- Gear – We highly recommend to choose one that has three-stage planetary gear system with good gear ratio.
We hope that through this article, we were able to help you make a sound decision in choosing the best Smittybilt winch that would best suit your preference and needs.